what I need to be a third-party inspector for control panels inspection?

hello, I would like to know what I need to be come a third party inspector to inspect control panels and instrumentation in vendors facilities such FAT ( Factory Acceptance Test, is certifications for that.
regards

I would suggest that if you want to be hired as a third-party ("owner's representative") for things like Factory Acceptance tests you should understand the process the control system will be used for. Industrial projects (refineries; plastics plants; paper-making plants; pharmaceutical plants; etc.), power plants (fossil; nuclear; hydro; wind turbine facilities) all have unique and specific needs and requirements. And the automation systems need to be able to handle those requirements and needs--and in some cases regulatory requirements.

Owners of these facilities will be looking primarily for someone with industry experience (not just control panels and instrumentation) and knowledge to observe and question and help to identify control schemes and equipment which may not be up to the task. Generally, in my experience, when plants send people to FATs (or SATs (Software Acceptance Tests)) it's a boondoggle and the people sent to those tests are being "rewarded" by their friends in management and they may or may not be capable of understanding the hardware or the software. They are often-times more interested in sight-seeing and shopping than in participating in the testing. Many times they send people with very little detailed understanding of the process(es) and control and protection schemes the automation systems must perform. AND, they are ONLY interested in making sure the graphics on the HMI displays are PERFECT--not that the software and hardware actually performing the control and protection is working correctly. Some owners recognize this and will seek out experienced, knowledgeable people. Some owners, to save costs, are not sending people to such tests any longer and are using an experienced, knowledgeable person to witness the testing and write a detailed report.

It should be clear--the people who will be paying for your services want experience and industry knowledge, primarily, and above all else. Sure, they might want someone knowledgeable in ISO procedures, API specifications (for high-speed rotating machinery for example) or geographical requirements (hazardous environments, for example). It might help if you had a certificate from some training organization or regulatory body saying you have some level of proficiency in some of these regulations and standards, but, really, industry experience and knowledge (operator; technician; engineering) is going to be most important. You would do best to have a really good CV--not too long, but able to provide more detail if requested--to explain you qualifications. And, the more of these tests you successfully perform and become recognized by owners AND automation & control system suppliers (integrators) will contribute to your reputation and recognition.

My recommendation would be to choose a particular industry you are very proficient in and start with that as you build your name and recognition. You may be able to expand into other industries or specialties but a rather narrow focus in the beginning is probably best as you are starting out and gaining experience and making a name for yourself.

Report-writing and communication skills are going to be extremely important. Establishing some kind of standard for your reports would also be very helpful--if it's easy to read (without being too superficial) and easy to refer to during commissioning of the equipment at its final location will enhance your product and stature.

Hope this helps! Best of luck in your endeavor! The job can have great responsibility and impact, and you're not going to endear yourself to everyone but then that's not your primary job. Understand what your Customers want, and seek to excel at it while also being diplomatic, though sometimes even diplomacy, a smile and a firm stance with data to support your position (not just anecdotal stories) will not win some people over. Again, know your Customer and what they want. (And remember, you may work with the control system integrator or manufacturer again in the future, too!)

The job is really probably 70% people and 30% technical. You will get the jobs in the beginning with your technical skills, knowledge and experience. Over time, it will be the results and the people skills you have and develop that will get you more jobs (and more money!).

I'm an Instrument & control Engineer with 26 years of experience in the oil & gas industry and power stations industry. also im working in oil company at present.
my question was for preparing a job when I retire.