GE Gas turbine Mark VIe training

Hi

I'm looking for learning courses handling GE gas turbine basic theory and control system engineering (Mark VIe).
I can cover max 1~2month for learning course, proper cost and doesn't matter location.

I know GE power has periodical training courses but only 5 days which is not enough for me.
I want to learn GE gas turbine from the beginning to the advanced(or intermediate) level as an operator and engineer view also.

I figured out courses from GE power, Baker Hughes(Nexus Control), etc. but nothing can cover like that wide lesson.

Anyone can recommend or give an information such a training session?

thanks!

Hi

Best option would be to do the training at GE Learning center.. There are centers in Houston... Birr (Switzerland), and Kuwait city..
They should be other options on the web..

What frame size machine do you expect to be working on primarily? (I’m presuming you are speaking about GE heavy duty gas turbines, primarily driving synchronous generators.)

What will be your primary interest/responsibility? Operations? Instrumentation & Control? Mechanical Maintenance & Repair? Plant Engineer? Plant Management?

What is your present level of experience and familiarization with GE machines?

Engineer-level training is going to be difficult to get; many aspects of GE heavy duty gas turbines are considered proprietary by GE and there isn’t really a lot of written documentation in the public domain. It would be advisable to concentrate on basic operation and components and not try to get too deep into the formulae and calculations and manufacturing processes, or even orifice sizing or control valve selection. You can get more information as you are working on the equipment by interacting with field service people.

In my experience (more than 40 years primarily working in the field during construction & commissioning of GE heavy duty gas turbines), GE doesn’t even offer this kind of training for the people they employ in field service (sadly). They get some basic concepts for controls & instrumentation (not even really suitable for commissioning or normal controls maintenance and troubleshooting), and the people who wil be doing mechanical maintenance get the most hands-on training during simulated maintenance outages, disassembling, reassembling and taking measurements (clearances), installing new hardware, etc.). But, to my knowledge they only offer this training to people they employ either directly or seconded from wholly-owned subsidiaries or sub-contracting companies they occasionally work with. This training is not for sale to the public. I do know that GE has arranged special training for Customers who have purchased or intend to purchase many machines in a large order.

But I also know that much of that training was not received very well, for a variety of reasons. First, expectations WERE NOT SET AND AGREED TO IN ADVANCE. Someone asked for technical training without much detail (controls; mechanical) and the training group was charged with putting the training together without divulging proprietary details. Also, the people that were sent for the training didn’t want to get their hands dirty, and spent a lot of time trashing rental cars, visiting national parks and discos and buying Levi’s for themselves, friends and family members. And because they weren’t under contract to GE they couldn’t be forced to be on time or fired for tardiness or lack of attention and respect. The “students” considered the course to be a boondoggle, on their company’s expenses. And they complained loudly—as did their supervisors when they returned with little to show for their time and expenses. (Yes; there were one or two people who took the opportunity seriously, but they were definitely in the minority and were ostracized by their colleagues.)

Good luck with this. It’s a good idea, but getting GE to put something unique together is not realistic. Did you know the average trainer spends four to five hours preparing to give a technical course for every hour they spend teaching the course? And, that’s conservative. What you’re asking for would be very unique and require lots of preparation time; the materials and outline would have to be created as they don’t exist in my experience.