P&ID

Hi, I am an incoming 1st-year Instrumentation and Control Engineering Student, I just wonder what is the meaning of these P&ID symbol. Is there any method or materials that you can share for me to learn how to read P&ID?

Attachments

A quick World Wide Web search for "P&ID symbols" led to "how to read a P&ID drawing" which led to this:

P & ID Diagram. How To Read P&ID Drawing Easily. Piping & Instrumentation Diagram Explained. - YouTube

Maybe this will help. But you can also use the search engine of your choice to find an AMAXING amount of information about P&ID symbols and meanings. At first I though maybe the symbol you shared was from a KKS type of P&ID, but I couldn't find anything (quickly) in a couple of KKS-related sites. (KKS stands for Krappy Kraut System. :) Just ask anyone who uses it....)

MOST plant P&IDs come with some kind of legend document which explains the device identification system and the meaning of the symbols used.

Anyway, this should get you started on your journey.

ANSI/ISA publishes a standard for instrumentation symbols, but the 'key' or 'legend'on the local P&ID sheet is the most important because there's a lot of customization.

The instrumentation standard is titled, AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARD ANSI/ISA-5.1-2009 Instrumentation Symbols and Identification. There might be a more recent update than the 2009 version.

Standards are licensed and sold, but some times you luck out and can find one posted on the web.

The thing I like about standards is there are so many to choose from.

And many companies modify a particular "standard" to suit their needs and application, so while you may find a particular standard you like or one you have become familiar with, you will find that the next system from another manufacturer uses a slightly or very different "standard" which they have developed/modified/adapted.

As you become more familiar with P&IDs and systems and system design, you will, in time, come to be able to make very good educated guesses as to what a particular device is (temperature sensor; temperature controller; pressure regulator; flow controller; filter; strainer; position sensor; etc.).

ANSI/ISA publishes a standard for instrumentation symbols, but the 'key' or 'legend'on the local P&ID sheet is the most important because there's a lot of customization.

The instrumentation standard is titled, AMERICAN NATIONAL STANDARD ANSI/ISA-5.1-2009 Instrumentation Symbols and Identification. There might be a more recent update than the 2009 version.

Standards are licensed and sold, but some times you luck out and can find one posted on the web.
There is an ISA 5.1 2022 version out now. If applicable you can also reference the ISO document - ISO 15519-2:2015 Part 2