Mark V EPROM upgrade

G

GSII Guy

Hi,

I would like to have a procedure how to upgrade Mark V EPROM please. send to njkiosk2000 [at] yahoo.com thanks.

Granite Services Int'l., Inc.?

It's my understanding that if you purchase PROMs from GE they are now providing a batch file that "automatically" updates the PROM configuration files and provides instructions on how to do the I/O Configuration upgrade.

I say "automatically" because I don't think they tell you when you start the batch file that you need a lot of information about the cards and PROMsets already installed in the panel, so it's best to have all that information written down about every card and PROMset currently in the panel before starting the batch file. Because aborting the batch file while it's in progress can result in some pretty screwed-up files from the stories I've heard.

As far as a "generic" procedure, I don't think one exists (as is the case for most Speedtronic-related functions). And, the procedure can vary depending on whether or not one is using an <I> or a GE Mark V HMI, and whether or not one is upgrading to a minor or major revision of a certain PROM.

Nothing is ever easy or straightforward when it comes to the Mark V (or Speedtronic-related things in general). I've been of the belief that things aren't documented so it's "easy" to change them if need be, because no documentation needs to be updated! Kind of a perverse way of thinking, and no one seems to have figured out that it costs GE money to do business this way because even their own people can't find documentation on the various revisions and changes and goings-on.

It's really a shame, because the Speedtronic is pretty decent for what it is: a turbine control system. Albeit a poorly documented one.

(Kind of sounds like an opportunity, doesn't it? For some person who wants to pull his hair out instead of letting it fall out naturally!)