MARK V Keypad

imad684,

>I need MARK V r, s, t and c core keypad operation manual.

If you're talking about the LCC/SLCC keypad (on the daughterboard of the DCC/SDCC card in Loc. 1 of the cores you mentioned), there is nothing formally written. There are some procedures in the Mark V Maintenance Manual, GEH-5980, which use the LCC/SLCC keypad (such as for changing the Voter ID, or setting the StageLink ID for <C>, checking the number of diagnostic alarms on a particular core and resetting them from the keypad, or troubleshooting I/O states for the various I/O cards associated with a processor), but that's about all there is for using the DCC/SDCC keypad. Three of those functions are mentioned in the Mark V Maintenance Manual (the diagnostic alarm stuff isn't mentioned that I recall).

If you can tell us what you want to use the keypad(s) for, we might be able to offer you some suggestions or references. The DCC/SDCC keypad was basically an "artifact" of the choice by GE to use the main processor cards from a variable speed drive product that was produced in the same factory at the time the Mark V was developed. The whole core and plastic card carrier and ribbon cable architecture was previously used by the drives part of the GE Drives & Controls division when the Mark V was developed. The plant manager at the time decreed, "Thou shalt NOT develop new hardware for the Mark V, and thou shalt use existing hardware from our other division for the Mark V." The DCC/SDCC keypad was used for many functions in the variable speed drive application, but it wasn't very necessary or functional for the turbine control application. It couldn't be left off the DCC/SDCC card, and so a "decision" was made to leave it in place but make it have very few functions (such as setting Voter ID and StageLink ID and troubleshooting I/O states). Yes; if you're a brainiac/geek type you can do some other things with it (you have to know how to convert between hexadecimal and octodecimal and binary and know which is being displayed and what the registers do and mean, for example)--but those functions are DANGEROUS and UNDOCUMENTED and could result in serious equipment damage and danger to humans in the area of the turbine and driven equipment. Again, they are remnants (artifacts) of the decision to use existing hardware when developing the Mark V.

MANY people falsely believe there is some "hidden" functions of the DCC/SDCC keypad, and that if they only knew what they were they would be Mark V gurus. But, that's completely mythical and untrue. I recall being in one of the first Mark V training courses, with some GE licensees in the course and they were demanding they be shown "how to use the DCC keypad (there was no SDCC at that time)." So, a factory engineer trundled in to the classroom and proceeded to push buttons on the keypad and in a very monotone voice explain the most mundane features of the keypad. He was able to mentally convert octal to hexadecimal and binary and back and forth with no problems. All of which only made the students who asked about the function more upset that the keypad had been left on the microprocessor board!

It's really only useful for four functions: Setting Voter ID (when replacing the DCC/SDCC card); setting the StageLink ID of <C> (or <D> if the panel has a <D>); resetting "diagnostic" alarms on the core (some of which DO NOT appear on the operator interface Diagnostic Alarm Display, and for which there are no written descriptions); and troubleshooting the I/O states of the I/O cards associated with the core (TCCA; TCQA; TCEA; TCDA; etc.). And about all the written documentation there is is in GEH-5980.

Again, if you can tell us what you're trying to do, we might be able to be of more help (if you ca't find what you're looking for in GEH-5980).