How to Configure Citect OPC Server?

S

Sufyan

I'm having problem configuring citect as an opc server and using Matrikon OPC explorer as the client. it keeps on prompting an error saying "class not registered" everytime i try to connect to the remote Citect OPC Server. Connecting as local is not a problem.

I'm using citect 5.5 sp A and Matrikon OPC explorer 3.1.0.58.. could really use the help. There's an article on the knowledge base (Q3684) which says that i need to delete the registry value inproc32 to solve the problem.. but still nothing.. if anybody has the same experience or happen to know the right way to configure citect as OPC server.. please show me. thanks.

V

Victor Zaltsman

This is a typical problem, while using remote client.
Every OPC client relies on DCOM mechanizm to access the remote server. Each DCOM has assosiated Class ID, which should exist in the registry of client's machine. However, there is no way to client machine to "know" this class ID without some configuration work.

The easiest way is just to install the OPC server on client machine- you don't need to run it. During the installation, an appropriate DCOM will be installed and registered on the client. Now OPC client may use this particular DCOM to access remote server. DCOM may be also registered manually, but this is another story...

You may need to configure security options of DCOM on your client machine- after all the client is going to access a remote server via network, so all Windows permissions should be honored.

"dcomcnfg" utility may be used to do this configuration- on WinXP a Component Configuration console will be opened- go to DCOM configuration to access your specific DCOM and define security options appropriately.

Good luck,
Victor