HMI software for multi-headed displays

O

onyxgaze

We require multiple display monitors hooked up to a single PC which the plant operator uses.
I have been told by CIMPLICITY tech support that this feature is NOT supported by CIMPLICITY for any OS.

I now hear that AB RSView32 provides this feature, but uses VB-Script to split displays to multiple monitors. Is this true? If so will it pose any performance problems. Does Wonderware provide beetter capabilities in this regard?

I plan to use Dell650 workstations with dual-monitor capable 128MB display card in a Xeon PC-workstation with 1GB RAM.

Thanks in advance.

Use Vmware (http://www.vmware.com) virtural computers, coupled with the native ability of MS windows with multiple video cards. You have to run the virtural set to 1024 X 768 within the real monitor set to larger than this. Only one virtural can go full screen, which locks in the mouse.

Later.
Dave S.

G

Göran Hasse

This is strange... X-windows have had this ability for a very long time. Put Reflection, Hummingbird or any other
X-window server and you have no problem with this at all.
Take a look at http://www.freescada.com a SCADA system that use X-window from the start. The good thig if you use Linux is that X-servers are free!

GH

K

Koblenz, Mykel MH

Windows (2000 & XP) support multiple monitors, using this OS support you should be able to run multiple windows across the multiple screens.

I toyed with this with ConductorNT. Even though Conductor supports dual screens I turned it off and I can effectively run four cinductor windows on four spearate screens because of the OS support

W

Walters Curt L Contr AEDC/SVT

I am using Cimplicity with up to four monitors. I have used both the Matrox 2 and 4-headed cards and the Appian 2-headed card. You just install the software that comes with the card. Cimplicity screens show up on any combination of the monitors. It works great. I don't understand why GE says they don't support it.

Good luck,
Curt

I have tried VB scripts for multi-headed displays in RSView32 (v.6.30.17). I spent too much time making it work (and perform) and I experienced stability problems. Instead, I made a display in 3200x1200 resolution which I split over 2 screens (Matrox g450) in 1600x1200. Using wild-cards for x and y coordinates in RSView I call main displays on the left and right display, respectively. Using multiple wild-card calls you can make pop-up displays appear anywhere you like. This can also be achieved by tracking mouse coordinates (VB script).

In WinCC the split-screen manager lets you configure from 1 to 4 screens in different combinations with a few mouse-clicks. But I guess you are stuck with RSView32?

I use a client-server setup and not workstations. Using 1 server to PLC communikation lowers the network load considerably. I suggest you use the Dell650 as server and get e.g. standard P4s as clients.

TBJ

P

Pierre de Bailliencourt

Please Check PcVue/PlantVue/FrontVue range of product that can manage a virtual screen splited in regions. Each Region may be located on a different screen. It is then possible to get focus on a specific Region and to display different mimics on each Region.

Look our Web site: http://www.arcinfo.com

L

Leon Winitsky

We have used Iconics Genesis32 successfully splitting functions over resolutions of 2048x768. It's great. The only drawback is that all popups have to be set to open to specific screens. If you use system popups they may open in the middle of the two screens. The way to avoid that is to change your video card settings to force popups in the center of one screen only.

Leon W.

This is a standard feature of Windows2000 and WindowsXP

Pick your favorite HMI and enjoy the experience!

A Wonderware Fan.

D

Donald Pittendrigh

I have been running dual monitor cards on my workstation since windows 98, when I was using a diamond fire GL interface, currently am using a geforce 2 with dual monitors and am quite satisfied with it.

I have run Wonderware on 1200 x 1600 and seen Citect running on multiple monitors and also seen Wonderware running on a huge plasma display

Donald Pittendrigh

S
Can you please clarify the following? Either:

1. Matrox 2 and 4-headed cards
Or
2. Appian 2-headed card required for dual monitoring.

Am I Correct???

>I am using Cimplicity with up to four monitors. I have
>used both the Matrox 2 and 4-headed cards and the Appian
>2-headed card. You just install the software that comes
>with the card. Cimplicity screens show up on any
>combination of the monitors. It works great. I don't
>understand why GE says they don't support it.