GE HMI OS - Windows 10 availability

10_ac

Hello:

We have several 7EAs running Win XP and was curious if anyone knows when Win 10 will be available. We are estimating that it would be economical to wait for Win 10 instead of upgrading to Win 7; which has been out for awhile.

Thank you in advance for any and all assistance.

Dear 10_AC, of courses GE would be the best resource to answer your question. But that being said as I understand it the latest OS offerings from GE for Toolbox and Cimplicity are Windows 7 and Windows server 2008.

I understand wanting to upgrade to the newest possible OS for long life. And since Microsoft says windows 10 will be the last operating system offered that seems like a great way to go as far as support.
I myself might be more inclined to go with a server product, but I can't exactly list reasons why I would choose a server product over a standard windows 10 type offering.

But GE and other vendors take a while to test new operating systems so expecting to get the latest and greatest might not be possible. As I said GE could hopefully give you an answer as to what operating systems they have available and when the newest products for standard or server will be available.

During a recent conference I attended GE was talking about implementing servers and then using VM thin clients for HMI's, similar to what some other OEM's are doing. A new idea that could change things.

So sorry I guess I really didn't answer your question, but hopefully gave you some ideas.

A Windows 10 compatible version isn't available yet; ControlST 7.0/CIMPLICITY 9.5 are supposed to support Windows 10, with a release date sometime soon.

Microsoft loves to change things and break working software. For example, Microsoft changed the string for Infinity from "Inf" to an infinity symbol between Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. Sure, it looks cooler but causes unexpected behavior in ToolboxST.

Personally, I find Windows 7 much more stable, and a better choice for an HMI. When HMIs do start shipping Windows 10, there will be a whole new bunch of settings to tweak to keep the OS from getting in the way of operators.