SUPCON vs HONEYWELL

S

Shaiq Bashir

Dear Experts

Can you just describe your experience upon Honeywell vs SUPCON DCS Systems. I would like to know which of them is better? I'm a Honeywell Systems Engineer but i do not know about SUPCON (a chinese made DCS). What are the advantages or Disadvantages of SUPCON over Honeywell?

When we talk about a chemical plant, what they should choose between the two. We know very well that SUPCON solution is much economical as compared to Honeywell. So is it also better than Honeywell TECHNICALLY?

Your precious comments and experience descriptions are welcome!

I don't know SUPCON so only from looking at the web some differentiators I see are:

- SUPCON don't mention on-process upgradability

- System size. I see a limited number of loops and I/O per controller and a limited number of controllers per system

- Honeywell has a proven track record concerning investment protection. All generations of systems can be used together and when upgrading past investments are not lost (upgrade kit pricing)

S

Shaiq Bashir

Yes i also think so that SUPCON has got certain limitations behind its ECONOMICITY. It will really give Honeywell an advantage if it doesn't support On-Process upgradibility.

I have worked on Honeywell system and there is no doubt about their leading edge in technology. I have gone through the SUPCON system also and technically found very good . The SUPCON is the growing and comparatively new company and their rate of the growth is very high and having very systematic approach toward their goal. Off course they have the advantage on cost vs Honeywell.

I have used EPKS R210 in 2005.

EPKS R210 is used for the Panyu/Huizhou Zhuhai LNG Terminal Project in China. There are many bugs during commissioning even though I have had installed the service package for bugs.

T
I would like to add my experience on the subject, although quiet late but still useful for serious engineers.

I have engineered and installed ECS700 based system in Mid 2012 . Till date ZERO glitch performance. Open architecture and unlimited software license.

The controller is capable of 5000 i/o points, far superior to any other. The control algorithm is far superior and i have commissioned distillation column loops with minimal effort.

The DOWNSIDE: It is not cheap at all. In fact i bought the solution for a comparable price to Emerson . Honeywell i did not consider as far inferior.

I'm saying this with command as i have worked on ALL major brands as Automation engineer. I have not found any better.

The objective of comparison needs to be clear first. Honeywell has different ranges of DCS each with its own set of capabilities, Supcon on the other hand is perceived as a low cost fit for most application type DCS.

I have done detailed investigation on these DCS and their features. At the outset Honeywell definitely has the edge of experience and big R&D budget brand equity along with vast professional project and engineering experience that makes the Experion or the PKS systems miles ahead of Supcon.

However, if you would like a quick summary of feature comparison. Here they are:-

1. System size, flexibility: Honeywell is better than Supcon as it can handle large processes as well as small ones.
2. I/O counts, Field Device management, HART 7 compatibility Honeywell is better.

3. Price Supcon is better for micro control systems (Below 4000 I/O) though global reach for Supcon is still not a reality

If you need more information let me know how can I share it with the community.

I have worked on Honeywell system and there is no doubt about their leading edge in technology. I have gone through the SUPCON system also and technically found very good . The SUPCON is the growing and comparatively new company and their rate of the growth is very high and having very systematic approach toward their goal. Off course they have the advantage on cost vs Honeywell.
pls i need more info about SUPCON bcs my to migrate from yokogawa to another Vendor pls can u enlighten me more about the SUPCON and the fully and partial replacement scope.
you can reach me via my mail below
[email protected]